Have you ever seen barbers in movies using straight razors and wondered how they are so pro at it? Well, we’re in the same boat!
While normal razors are usually quite easy to use, you need some expertise to shave properly for a straight razor.
If you’re considering starting with a straight razor and wondering can you use shaving cream with straight razor , look no more; we’ve got everything important covered for you.
What is a straight razor?
Before moving to what shaving cream you use with a straight razor, let’s first know what it actually is and the benefits it offers compared to normal razors.
If explained in the simplest words possible, a straight razor comes with a simple blade and can easily fold into its handle. Here are a few of the major benefits they offer:
- These razors provide a close and smooth shave.
- It cuts at the skin level, and therefore there is no ingrown hair left after shaving.
- The razor is excellent for people with sensitive skin.
- The blades are long-lasting and vulnerable to hair strands.
- Since they are made of steel, they can easily be used for a month or two and therefore are cheaper than competitors.
- No plastic is used; therefore, they prove to be more eco-friendly.
What shaving cream do you use with a straight razor?
While many shaving cream owners claim their products can easily be used with a straight razor, do you need special shaving cream for a straight razor?
Here are a few products to answer your question:
If you are looking for an organic shaving cream that can be used with a straight razor, this one is your go-to option. The product is filled with plant-derived natural ingredients and is absolutely safe to use. It forms a slick, rich, moisturizing lather to provide a smooth shaving experience.
This shaving cream comes with some excellent ingredients, including cucumber, aloe vera, and green tea extracts, all of which ensure a smooth, irritation-free, and comfortable shaving experience. You can easily use this shaving cream with your straight razor.
Here’s yet another answer to your question of what shaving cream you use with a straight razor. This shaving cream by Rocky Mountain Barber provides you with an exceptionally smooth shave because it forms a thick, smooth, and creamy lather. The shaving foam includes simple ingredients like coconut and sandalwood essential oil to make your after-shave skin feel good.
Can you use a normal shaving foam with a straight razor
If you are wondering if can you use a normal shaving foam with a straight razor, here’s the deal. Most normal shaving creams come with a thick consistency which ends up sticking on the razors. This makes shaving a lot more complicated and challenging. Therefore, one should always consider buying true lather shaving creams with more water content to make the whole shaving process smoother to avoid these problems.
Regular canned shaving creams usually don’t make true lather which doesn’t let the straight razors glide smoothly on the skin. This makes the shaving experience not so pleasing. Our products in what shaving cream do you use with a straight razor have also covered products forming great lather.
Most of the normal shaving creams come with loads of chemicals that irritate the skin when used with a straight razor. Therefore, going for some organic shaving creams rule out this risk. The products we have covered under What shaving cream do you use with a straight razor have organic products too.
Is it better to dry or wet shave with a straight razor?
Now that you know you can use normal shaving foam with a straight razor, if you are wondering if it is better to dry or wet shave with a straight razor, here is your answer!
One should prefer wet shaving with a straight razor since using a straight razor is not a piece of cake and keeping your skin dry while you shave with it can turn out to be irritating. To make it easier for you, here are a few tips on how you can wet shave using a straight razor.
- The first and foremost thing you need to do is to wet your beard properly. Take a hot shower or drape a warm towel around your beard to make it wet.
- Now that your beard is wet, apply pre-shave oil to make the shaving process more comfortable.
- If there is a need, strop your straight razor to make it sharp enough for shaving while you wait for the pre-shave oil to get into your hair follicles.
- Now put on the shaving cream and form a proper lather to make your shaving process a breeze of air.
- To avoid any mess, hold the straight razor properly and start shaving. You need to hold the straight razor at around thirty degrees for the best results.
- Now start shaving area by area, like finishing your right cheek first and then moving to the left cheek for a proper shave.
Shaving with a straight razor may not be a piece of cake; however, its benefits definitely make them a great choice for a smooth shave. If you are just beginning with its usage, having questions like can You use Shaving cream with a straight razor and Is it better to dry or wet shave with a straight razor are quite common. In this article, we have tried to answer all your queries so you don’t find difficulty in switching from a normal razor to a straight one.