How to shave beard without shaving cream? Sounds like a myth already, right? I mean, how can you shave without shaving cream you must be wondering. If it’s your first time shaving and you don’t have any shaving cream then I am here to share some tips to shave without shaving cream and its effects.
Do not worry. You won’t look like a red, irritated mess without shaving cream. There are many other solutions to shave beard, which get the job of shaving done just as well. So, let’s talk about how to shave a beard without shaving cream.
Is it Bad to Shave Without Shaving Cream?
You might find it hard to shave beard without shaving cream or any foaming product. Shaving products like shave gel or foaming cream soften your skin for the perfect shave. Shaving without cream or shaving gel might burn your skin.
Different Ways of Shaving Without Shaving Cream
There are several different ways to shave beard without shaving cream. Two of the commonly used ways are:
Oil is already quite slippery, so; you can choose if you want to slightly wet your skin or not. However, when using oil, you shouldn’t wet your skin as oil doesn’t sit well with water. What you can do is place a hot wet towel on your face to soften your skin.
- It is good to shave after you have taken a bath or shower. The water and heat are best for your skin; it helps to open up your hair follicles for a better and close shave.
- Shaving without cream is not an easy task. It’s best to trim long hair before shaving. Trimming long hair before shaving will help your razor run smoothly on your skin for a closer shave.
- Make sure to rub oil thoroughly. The oil usually acts as a lubricant while moisturizing your skin.
- The next step is to start shaving. Now, while shaving, make sure to rinse your razor often to avoid clogging in your razor.
- Shaving is not an activity where you hurry; you must be slow and give it the proper time it requires to get a closer shave.
- Shaving against the grain might give you a cut or burn your skin. So, shave with the grain.
- Always pick the razor with multiple blades to get a nice and closer shave. You can also choose the razor according to your skin type.
- After shaving, make sure to use any product which works as a moisturizing agent to prevent itching and redness.
Oil is the solution to your problem of how to shave a beard without shaving cream.
Shaving with soap is also possible. Here are the few simple steps to shave beard by using soap.
- The first step is choosing a soap according to your skin type. A soap which makes your skin moisturize and help the razor across your skin to prevent burns or cuts.
- Wet your skin slightly before a shave. A hot towel is preferable to soften your skin.
- You can also use exfoliating scrubs or a loofah to exfoliate your skin for a better and closer shave without shaving cream.
- Coat your skin with a nice thick layer of soap. The coat not only helps your razor run smoothly, but it can also let you know which part you missed during the shave.
- To increase lather and moisturize your skin, you can add a few drops of glycerin. Glycerin is often used as a moisturizing agent to prevent dry or itchy skin. You can easily find it in any drug store or beauty shop.
- Next step is to start shaving. Start shaving by keeping in mind the steps given below:
- Rinse your razor more often. Not rinsing your razor can cause hair to be stuck in the blade, which can cut your skin.
- Shave with grain to prevent cuts and burn, which can later cause pimples.
- Use razor according to your skin type and with multiple blades. Multiple blades can give you a proper closer shave you need.
- Make sure to softly dry your face with a clean towel and use after-shaving products to prevent ingrown hair or itching. You can also use moisturizing cream.
And that’s the perfect answer to your question of how to shave beard without shaving cream.
What Can You Use As a Substitute For Shaving Cream?
Not everyone has everything available at any time. It is important to have alternatives/substitutes. Everything has a substitute like, for example, sugar has substitutes like Maple Syrup, Honey, etc. Shaving cream also has different substitutes which can answer your question of how to shave beard without shaving cream:
- Baby Oil
- Body Lotion
- Hair Conditioner
- Peanut Butter
- Aloe Vera
Let me take you through each of them, one by one.
1. Baby Oil
If you have children, then you must have baby oil. Once you realize how good of a substitute it is, you will be dying to try it out, no matter if you have children or not.
However, women use baby oil as a moisturizer for their skin. Babies have the most sensitive and soft skin, and if baby oil can protect babies’ skin, it can also protect your skin.
Baby oil is an excellent substitute for shaving cream. It moisturizes your skin better to provide a closer shave.
2. Body Lotion
The body lotion is another item that we use daily. The body lotion is near about the perfect substitute for your beard if you want to shave without shaving cream. It’s a moisturizer, and it’s very slick, it won’t just provide you with a shave it will give you the shave without burns or cuts.
3. Hair Conditioner
Hair conditioner is one of the many things we commonly use in our lives. It’s accessible if you run out of shaving cream or gel. A hair conditioner is one of the essential items of the grooming process.
If you are having a second thought, you can also use hair conditioner as a shaving cream regularly. Hair conditioner will work pretty awesome on your beard, and it will moisturize your hair. Put it in your beard and give it a few minutes, and you will feel the soften of your hair. All you need to do is follow the grain, and you are done.
4. Peanut Butter
Peanut butter, well, you would have never guessed that it can be used as a substitute for shaving cream. Peanut butter is full of oil and healthy fats. When you rub it on your beard, your skin will soak oil and provide you with a smoother shave.
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is the most underrated item in our lives. Aloe vera can make your skin smooth and soft before shaving. Rub it on your face, and it will open pores and work as moisture. Aloe vera gel will not only provide you with the best shave; it will also provide you with a cool feeling.
Can You Shave With Just Water?
People do run out of things, for example, End of cookies, water, tea, etc. The same can happen to your shaving cream; it’s not a big deal. But, most of the people wonder how to shave beard without shaving cream or how to shave with just water to understand it properly you need to follow the steps given below:
First of all, know your skin type. Either it’s dry, oily, itchy, etc. What I mean by knowing your skin type is knowing either your skin is sensitive or not. Do you have pimples, and if you do, how are you treating your skin.
If you have good skin, you can start shaving with water without any problem. Once you have understood your skin type, it’s pretty straightforward from there
The second step is choosing a razor; you can either choose a standard razor that is sharp for your hair and comfortable to hold. You can also choose an electric razor to shave, but it might be hard to get a closer shave with an electric razor. There are many different types of razor you can choose from:
- The Straight Razor is all about time and skill, but it’s the sharpest option available for shaving the beard. As it’s the sharpest and requires skills, it might not be a good idea to use it with water.
- The Safety razor is also an option for shaving with just water. A double-edged razor can give you a better shave.
- Disposable razors are by far the best and safe razors for shaving with water. You can dispose of the blade or entire razor whenever you feel uncomfortable.
- Electric razors are one of the most trending razors these days. Many companies have launched electric razors with the with water and without water shaving function.
Once you choose your razor, make sure it’s clean and free of hair. If your razor has hair in it will clog the blades, and that can give you a cut.
Make sure the blade is sharp to check that you can do a standard test. Drag your wet thumb across the edge of the razor without applying pressure. Exfoliate your face skin before shaving, if you want a close shave.
The fourth step is shaving; wet your skin with warm water or towel. The warm water will exfoliate your skin and make it smooth and soft. The other option is shaving underwater while taking a bath.
- You should give it the time it requires. Go gently on your skin. Do not press too hard it might give you a cut.
- Your razor blade shouldn’t be at a 90-degree angle. Instead, it should be around 45 degrees.
- Make your strokes short. Shave according to your grain to avoid cuts or burns. It will cut your ingrown hair and help you get a precise shave.
- Divide your beard into different parts. Start from easy parts and avoid sensitive or corner parts.
- Sensitive parts or corner parts should be shaved last; you might need to stretch your skin to shave those areas. Pay close attention to shaving. Keep in mind that you don’t have shaving cream to tell you where you saved or where you haven’t.
- Last but not least, rinse your razor more often so that your hair doesn’t clog and stop the blade from working properly.
Taking care of your face skin after shaving is of the utmost importance. After shaving, you cannot leave your skin just like regular days. You have to put moisturizing cream or any other aftershave product to avoid burns, itchiness, which can later cause pimple and redness on your skin. Also, splash your skin with cold water to close up your pores.
Is Shaving Without Shaving Cream Bad?
It might be bad if you haven’t done anything like it before. If you are an experienced person, then it might not be a problem. However, shaving without shaving cream is not recommended. It is best to use shaving gel or any moisturizing cream to get a perfect shave you require.
Shaving without shaving cream is possible, but it might not give you a result you want. Because when we move to a new house or area, we don’t adjust easily. WE don’t like the place, etc. You might feel like this after shaving without shaving gel or cream. So, make sure to wash your face thoroughly and dry it with a clean towel.
After-shaving cream or some type of moisturizing cream is a must use after shaving, so your ingrown hair doesn’t make your skin itchy.